This Healthy Black Bean Breakfast Burrito Recipe features a hearty bean & hash brown filling with scrambled eggs, cheese, avocado and salsa rolled into whole wheat tortillas. This is a great healthy breakfast idea that can also be made ahead.
Alrighty, I’ll be the first to admit that today’s recipe won’t be winning any beauty contests. And that’s probably true for any burrito out there. BUT these Black Bean Breakfast Burritos are winning big time in the flavor, nutrition and convenience departments!
The recipe is from Nourish – a cookbook full of whole food recipes featuring seeds, nuts & beans by Canadians Nettie Cornish and Cara Rosenbloom. I have to say, it’s a cookbook after my own heart! Tasty creative and everyday recipes that are also really nutritious.
These recipes will nourish and keep you full & satisfied longer, because each and every one includes either nuts, seeds or beans. That includes recipes for any time of day, from appetizers, breakfast and soups, to dinners, salads and even desserts.
I was especially curious about how beans could be incorporated into breakfast in a way that aren’t sugary English breakfast-style baked beans. That’s how these black bean breakfast burritos caught my attention.
There is a hash brown-black bean filling, scrambled eggs, cheese, avocado, salsa and cilantro all rolled into whole wheat tortillas. That last part is easier said than done – for me.
The only tortillas I can get here in Vietnam are from a restaurant and they are made with white flour. So I actually ended up making my own whole wheat tortillas first.
But for everyone else with easy access to Mexican/TexMex ingredients, this delicious and healthy breakfast will come together in no time. You can also double the recipe to make ahead extra burritos and freeze them for convenient grab-and-go breakfasts. Thaw them in the microwave or overnight in the fridge and reheat.
Black Bean Breakfast Burrito Recipe
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 medium red potato coarsely grated
- 14 oz (400 g) can no-salt-added black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) salsa
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 4 large eggs
- 4 whole grain tortillas 10 inches/25 cm each
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 ripe avocado sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Sour cream and extra salsa for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tsp (10 mL) oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and potato for 5 minutes, until they are soft and start to turn golden brown.
- Add the beans, salsa and chili powder to the mix and cook for 3–5 minutes. Slightly mash part of the beans with a fork and cook until heated through. Then transfer everything to a bowl and set.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs. Heat the remaining 1 tsp (5 mL) oil in the skillet. Add the whisked eggs and don't stir until they start to set at the bottom (30 seconds). Then stir the eggs carefully with a spatula to scramble them. Add scrambled eggs to the bean mixture.
- Divide the egg and bean mixture among four whole wheat tortillas. Spread it down the center and leave space on the sides and at both ends. Top with shredded cheese, avocado slices and fresh cilantro (if using).
- Fold over one long side to cover the filling, fold over both short ends, then roll the whole thing over to close up into a package.
- Serve warm, with cilantro, extra salsa and sour cream, if desired.
Disclaimer: I received a free PDF version of “Nourish: Whole Food Recipes Featuring Seeds, Nuts and Beans” for review but was not compensated for this post. Whitecap Books is sponsoring the giveaway prize. This post contains Amazon affiliate links.