Learn how to make delicious whole wheat tortillas at home. It’s easier than you may think!
I couldn’t believe how easy it is to make homemade tortillas, when I first discovered this recipe.
We love to make tacos for dinner when we have leftover meat from the previous day; like shredded chicken or a pot roast. Unfortunately, we missed out on many taco dinner nights, because I didn’t pick up tortillas on my last grocery store trip.
If I had only known, that I had everything I needed to make tortillas already at home.
This whole wheat tortilla recipe uses only 6 ingredients – all of those are pantry staples!
How to Make Whole Wheat Tortillas
All it takes to make whole wheat tortillas are whole wheat and regular white flour, salt, butter (vegetable shortening to make vegan), water and a little cooking oil.
Start by whisking together the two flours and salt until combined. In a small saucepan heat the water and the butter, only until the butter is melted.
Stir the warm water and butter mix into the dry flour mix and stir to combine everything until a cohesive dough forms. Knead the dough bowl for a couple of minutes, then return it to a clean bowl and cover tightly (I use a recycled plastic bag).
Let the dough rest for about 30 minutes before proceeding. Then divide the dough ball into 12 parts and roll each one into a small ball.
Dust your working surface and a rolling pin with a little extra flour. Roll each dough ball into a tortilla of about 6 inches in diameter.
To cook the tortillas, heat a pan on medium heat. Add just a little oil as needed.
Add a rolled out tortilla to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Then flip and cook for another minute.
Place the cooked tortillas on a plate lined with paper towel and cover with a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm until ready to eat.
Similar Recipes you’ll love
Whole Wheat Tortillas
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (55g) butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan heat the butter and water until warm and butter is melted.
- Add to the flour mix in the bowl and stir to combine until a dough forms.
- Knead for a few minutes, then cover in plastic wrap and let rest for at least 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 parts; form into balls. Using a rolling pin and extra flour roll out each dough ball to about 6 inches in diameter.
- Heat a non-stick pan to medium heat. Adding a little oil as needed, cook the tortillas for about 1 minute on each side.
- Place on a plate covered with paper towel. Cover the tortillas with a clean kitchen towel to keep warm while cooking the rest.
- These homemade tortillas are great to make tacos of any sort. Shredded slow cooked chicken with salsa is our current favorite.
- You can also make larger tortillas (just fewer) to make delicious lunch wraps or even some bean-filled burritos.
- Well-covered the dough keeps in the fridge for about a week. This is perfect to cook just a few fresh tortillas as you need them.