These juicy Blueberry Apple Crumble Bars have a pie-like fruit filling surrounded by a crunchy oat crumble crust and topping. Absolutely delicious and full of texture!
My discovery of the summer is how much I L.O.V.E. baking with fresh fruit.
You might as well call me addicted, as just the mere thought of a fruit-less winter gives me withdrawal-like effects.
In an attempt to prepare for winter, I baked these blueberry apple crumble bars for the third time this summer. But this time, I used blueberries from the freezer section of the grocery store. To my delight, they came out just as amazing as their fresh fruit counterparts.
The fresh or frozen blueberries are cooked into a pie-like filling and topped with tart apple slices. The addition of the apple slices helps to balance the sweetness of the blueberries and adds a nice contrast to the flavor profile.
The Fruit Combinations With the Crumble Make This Dish Insanely Good
There is a nice 2-in-1 thing going on with the oat crumble. It serves as crust as well as topping. No need to whip up two different batches.
When the bars come out of the oven, there is this awesome bubbling and sizzling action going on. I just had to record the hubbub for my first-ever Instagram video.
Blueberry Apple Crumble Bars
For the Filling:
- 3 cups blueberries fresh or frozen (not thawed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice I prefer freshly squeezed
- 4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 large Granny Smith apple peeled and sliced
For the Crust & Crumble Topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats also called large flake oats
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar for sprinkling; optional
- Start by preparing the filling. Combine the blueberries with sugar and orange juice in a saucepan. Cook at medium heat and bring to a boil. Let mixture boil for 1 minutes, then whisk for 1 minute. Stir the cornstarch together with 4 tablespoons of water until smooth. Add cornstarch mix to blueberries, stir and simmer on low for 3-4 minutes until mixture thickens. Take off heat, transfer to a bowl and let cool in the fridge while preparing crust.
Crust and Crumble Topping:
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Combine flours, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add melted coconut oil and mix until crumbly. Evenly spread and press 2/3 of the mixture tightly into the prepared pan. Bake for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and spread cooled blueberry filling on top. Place apple slices on top of the blueberry filling (see picture). Spread remaining crumble over top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until slightly browned. Let the bars cool on the counter for 30 minutes, then transfer to the fridge to cool fully (about 3 hours). Bars won't cut unless they have been chilled.
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
And you the best way to serve these Blueberry Apple Crumble Bars? Topped with a scoop of freshly churned vanilla ice cream, of course!! Looking for the best ice cream maker for homemade ice cream? Check out my ice cream machine reviews here.
Looking For More Fruity Desserts?
Check out these fruity recipes!