This Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potato Hash is specked with delicious bacon crumbles. It makes a great side dish for dinner, but I also wouldn’t mind it for breakfast or lunch!
Brussels sprouts! This cute vegetable that looks like mini cabbages, seems to divide the masses. Apparently, especially children don’t like Brussels sprouts.
Well, this certainly never was true for me. I mentioned before that my mom managed to bring us up to be veggie lovers… To a certain degree. Even I have my veggie nemesis – what’s the deal with eggplant anyway? I mean really.
But Brussels sprouts? I don’t recall ever not liking them. Did you know that literally translated, Brussels sprouts are called ‘rose cabbage’ in German? Maybe it’s the cute name that turned me favorable towards Brussels sprouts. As a side note, it’s so interesting to learn the different names of vegetables and food items in various languages. German, for example, seems to be quite practical in its naming. One more reason to love traveling!
Brussels Sprouts Are Delicious
As for why I always loved these little green balls of delight, it probably had to do with the way they were prepared. The only way I ever had them growing up was with a browned-butter breadcrumb coating. What’s not to love about that?!
Today’s recipe is not exactly for those German-breadcrumb-coated Brussels sprouts, but it certainly is inspired by it. This recipe also includes sweet potato cubes, which are roasted together with the Brussels sprouts, onion and garlic.
So Many Things To Love About This Dish
Slow pan-roasting (as opposed to boiling) softens the veggies from the inside while leaving a little bite. Plus, it also gives a lightly charred aroma and a crisp texture on the outside. That crispiness is increased by the bread crumb coating and the added bacon crumbles. Mmmmmm…
This Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potato Hash makes a great side dish for dinner but we actually had it as our main course for lunch. And if you are an absolute veggie lover like me, I could even see this being breakfast.
Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potato Hash
This Brussels Sprouts Sweet Potato Hash is specked with delicious bacon crumbles. It makes a great side dish for dinner, but I also wouldn't mind it for breakfast or lunch!
- 5 slices bacon
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts halved
- 2 cups sweet potato cubed
- salt + pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- soy sauce for drizzling
- In a large skillet/sauteing pan cook the bacon slices until crispy. Place bacon on paper towel to drain excess fat.
- Keep 2 tablespoons on bacon grease and saute chopped onion and garlic on medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts halves and sweet potato cubes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low and cover. Saute for 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Drizzle olive oil over the roasting veggies and stir in the breadcrumbs. Saute uncovered for about 10 more minutes. Veggies should look roasted on the outside and be soft on the inside.
- Sprinkle with bacon crumbles and serve right away. Drizzle with soy sauce if desired.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy
Check out these similar recipes!