Enjoy a delicious Gingerbread Oatmeal Cookie for one in less than 5 minutes! Made in the microwave, this recipe includes whole grain and gluten free options.
After Thanksgiving is the traditional start of the Christmas holiday season. Now you can go all out with decorations, shopping and of course holiday baking.
For me, one thing that can’t be missing from the holiday season is baking and enjoying gingerbread – in any shape or form. From classic gingerbread loaves, to gingerbread men cookies and gingerbread bites, they all are part of what makes me feel cheerful and bright (and cozy).
Ok, there is one thing gingerbread that I won’t eat: stale gingerbread houses. Otherwise, anything tasting of ginger, molasses, and spices is more than welcome around here.
And if you ever find yourself needing a gingerbread fix but don’t want to drive to Starbucks or turn your kitchen into a Christmas bakery, then this recipe is for you.
In less than 5 minutes you can whip up a delicious gingerbread cookie for one that gets ‘baked’ in the microwave.
This is a hearty oatmeal cookie with molasses and gingerbread spice mix giving it a unique holiday flavored twist.
Surprisingly, this cookie is actually somewhat of a healthy treat. There is only 1 tablespoon of flour (which can be whole grain or oat flour). Only unrefined sugar and molasses is used as sweetener and there is also 1 tablespoon of fruit or vegetable (pumpkin) puree.
You can add in dark chocolate chips or (golden) raisins. I like some of both!
Gingerbread Microwave Oatmeal Cookie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon applesauce or mashed banana, pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon unsulphured molasses
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup old fashioned rolled oats certified gluten free, if required
- 1 tablespoon whole grain or oat flour
- ¼ teaspoon gingerbread spice mix
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips or golden raisins or a mix of both
- Place the butter in a large mug and microwave until melted (about 30 seconds).
- Add the brown sugar, apple sauce (or mashed banana or pumpkin puree), unsulphured molasses, and vanilla extract to the mug and stir with a fork or small whisk to combine.
- Now add the dry ingredients of old fashioned rolled oats, whole wheat or oat flour, gingerbread spice mix and sea salt and mix in. Once incorporated add in chocolate chips and/or raisins.
- Using a small spatula, clean the sides of the mug and make sure the cookie dough is only at the bottom of the mug.
- Microwave the cookie for about 1 minute. Since microwaves vary in strength, start checking around 50 seconds and add 10 second bursts as needed.
- This gingerbread oatmeal mug cookie is best enjoyed while warm.
Leave a Reply