Everything bagel seasoning is a lovely savoury blend of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion flakes, and dried garlic, most commonly enjoyed on bagels. However, with this homemade everything bagel seasoning recipe, you will be able to discover a multitude of other ways to have it.
The Origins of Everything Bagel Seasoning
Everything bagel seasoning may have origins from the year 1980 when a baker, David Gussin, decided to reuse the seeds that had fallen off bread during baking. He decided to marry the remaining sesame seeds and poppyseeds with onion and salt, before sprinkling them onto bagels.
However, another story suggests that everything bagels existed as far back as 1977 when a man named Seth Godin was baking them in a bagel factory. Whatever the case may be, everything bagels have become a fixture in the bagel market and enjoyed by many.
Their unique combination of seeds and savoury garlic and onion have made them perfect as a base for a breakfast sandwich or an open-faced sandwich with smoked salmon, red onion, and capers. And of course, everything bagels are great with a classic spread of cream cheese or butter.
How to Make this Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
If desired, you can start making this gluten free seasoning recipe by toasting the sesame seeds first. This step will build their flavour, adding a significant nuttiness and sesame flavour to the overall mix. However, you may decide you would prefer not to toast the seeds if you intend to use the mixture in baked dishes. Baking the everything bagel seasoning mixture on bread or bagels will allow the seeds to toast, whereas if you pre-toast them, the mixture might burn in the oven.
To toast the sesame seeds, simply place them in a skillet set over medium-low heat. You will know they are sufficiently toasted by when they give off a toasted sesame fragrance and start to pop. If you like, you can swirl the pan to encourage even cooking. Next, you can remove them from the heat and allow them to cool before proceeding with making the rest of the mix.
Combine the black and white sesame seeds with the dried onion flakes, dried minced garlic, poppy seeds, and flaky salt until combined. I like to add the ingredients to a small container or jar before closing it, and then shaking it to combine the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and seasonings. While this mixture is unlikely to last you very long, I recommend enjoying it within six months time to ensure the seeds are still fresh tasting rather than rancid.
This post contains affiliate links
Do I Need to Use Black Sesame Seeds in the Mix?
Black sesame seeds are becoming more common and easier to find in grocery stores and online due to their increasing popularity, but if you can't find them, you could add an equal amount of white sesame seeds as a replacement. Their flavours aren't overly different, but some believe that black sesame seeds may offer more health benefits. Whatever the case may be, black sesame seeds add to the attractiveness of this everything bagel seasoning blend.
If you don't have all of the ingredients on hand for this seasoning recipe, you may still be able to make it. Each ingredient gives the seasoning its unique flavour and is incredibly important, but there are a few ingredients you could swap out for others in a pinch.
For example, rather than dried onion flakes, you could incorporate an equivalent amount of onion powder. While this won't give you the same texture as onion flakes, it would certainly provide you with the savoury onion flavour that is so essential to this seasoning.
Additionally, rather than including dried minced garlic, which has significant texture, you could use garlic powder. Keep in mind that it won't offer the same flaked appearance as the dried minced garlic or flaked garlic, but it will be just as delicious.
The sesame seeds are essential in this recipe, but sometimes, you may be able to find a pre-toasted combination of white and black sesame seeds in the grocery store near the fish or Asian ingredients. This would save you time toasting the seeds and give you both black and white sesame seeds in one container rather than you having to buy two separate packages.
Delicate sea salt flakes are ideal to give the mix salty flavor while complementing the overall texture of everything but the bagel seasoning mix. Coarse sea salt can be substituted in an equal amount but may have a too harsh crunch for some. Fine sea salt or pink Himalayan salt can also be used, just be sure to just the amount in half.
Uses for this Everything Seasoning Recipe
While you can, of course, sprinkle this seasoning mix on bagels or bread before baking them, there are many other ways you could eat it. Here are some ideas:
- Sprinkle it on avocado toast
- Add it to a salad. You could even make everything bagel croutons for the salad.
- Garnish scrambled eggs with it.
- Add it to a tasty rice bowl with your favourite veggies and a soft-boiled egg.
- Add it to homemade baked chickpeas or even on popcorn after you adorn it with melted butter.
- Use it as a rub on roasted meat, like a whole chicken.
- Toss it into panko for added flavour when coating flattened chicken breast, veal, or pork.
- Add it to your panko topping for mac and cheese.
- Toss it into your favourite cabbage slaw.
- You can even add it to roasted veggies after you pull them out of the oven for an interesting flair.
Other Seasoning Recipes You'll Love:
Everything Bagel Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 1.5 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1.5 tablespoons dried minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoons poppyseeds
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoon flaky salt or coarse sea salt (or 1 teaspoon pink salt)
- For even greater flavor, you can optionally dry roast the sesame seeds in a pan over medium low heat until they start popping and become fragrant. Let the seeds cool.
- Measure out the sesame seeds, onion flakes, minced dried garlic, poppyseeds, black sesame seeds, and flaky salt and add to a small jar or container.
- Close the jar and shake to combine the ingredients into everything bagel seasoning mix.
- Use to top homemade bagel, buns, or bread, on avocado toast, salads and more.
Everything bagel seasoning typically includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, onion flakes, dried garlic, and flaky salt.
Its unique blend of savory flavors, including sesame, poppy seeds, and garlic, enhances various dishes, making it a versatile and popular seasoning.
Cream cheese, butter, avocado, eggs, salads, and even rice bowls can be complemented with everything bagel seasoning.
In moderation, everything bagel seasoning can add flavor without significant health concerns. It contains seeds, which provide some nutritional benefits.
It's best to use everything bagel seasoning within six months to ensure freshness. The seeds may lose their flavor or become rancid over time.