Remember my recommitment to healthy food at the beginning of the year?
Well, things are going pretty well so far. I still like my treats a little too much, but at least I try to make them as nutritious as possible with only healthy sweeteners (like these, this and these) .
One thing I have been keeping up with pretty well, is having greens for lunch. Either in the form of a green smoothie (which Olivia LOVES to share with me since she figured out how to drink from a straw) or a green salad.
While putting together another green lunch salad I remembered a delicious salad that was served at a restaurant I used to work at. It was called a Tuscan Chicken Salad and I set out to make something similar at home.
I am not entirely sure what makes this salad Tuscan. I assume oranges and figs grow there? And there is a balsamic dressing. Balsamic vinaigrette is usually sourced back to Modena. After a quick Google search I found out Modena is in fact a city in Tuscany.
I love all the different contrasting but complementing components of this salad. Mild baby spinach with stronger arugula for the greens.
Then there are sweet and tart blood orange fillets with sweet and crunchy dried fig slices. More crunch from toasted walnuts and meaty heartiness from grilled chicken slices.
Salty and tart feta crumbles and the sweet and acidic balsamic dressing round out this beautiful plate of greens.
Have you made any resolutions for this year? How are things going so far?
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 cups spinach and arugula mix
- 2 blood oranges, fillets cut out
- 6-8 dried figs, sliced
- ½ cup walnut halves, toasted*
- ⅓ cup crumbled Feta cheese
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt + pepper
- Season the chicken breast halves with salt and pepper from both sides. Grill at medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side. Let cool for a minute, then cut into strips.
- Divide spinach and arugula between 4 plates/bowls. Arrange chicken strips, blood orange fillets, fig slices, toasted walnut halves and crumbled feta over top.
- In a bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad as much as desired,