Learn how to make delicious Vegan Caramel Sauce with coconut cream. This awesome recipe is not only dairy free but also uses no refined sugar so it is clean eating and paleo friendly.
We have Konrad’s family visiting us here in Hoi An, Vietnam for the next couple of weeks. Olivia loves spending time with Grandma and Grandpa!
Surprisingly, she warmed up to them in absolutely no time despite not having seen them since her 1st birthday (9 months ago). It seems like all the Skype calls helped her to maintain familiarity.
Her aunty also is arriving tonight and we are looking forward to showing them around the historic ancient town district, spending time at the beach, and exploring new sites and attractions in this area that we haven’t seen either yet.
We’ve already been spoilt with my mother-in-law’s cooking. She fearlessly scours the local market for ingredients to make her famous South American Guiso and tonight we’ll even have borscht.
You can guess that my time experimenting in the kitchen has been limited, so I decided to share with you my favorite vegan caramel recipe that I created last year for a freelance project.
This easy vegan caramel sauce recipe absolutely amazing!
Just 2 ingredients (plus 2 optional ingredients) produce a delicious, creamy and sweet condiment that is dairy free, vegan, clean eating and paleo friendly.
How to make vegan caramel sauce
This is the exact brand of coconut cream I always bought in Thailand, when I was first developing this coconut cream caramel recipe. I love that it contains nothing but coconut and water – no preservatives, thickeners.
I believe the carton does not contain BPA lining. And this same brand is even available on Amazon!
To quick test what the consistency of my vegan salted caramel sauce will be like once it cools, I spread a small amount on a saucer and stick it in the freezer for a moment.
A few drops of sauce in a glass of ice water works too. If it is still like thin vegan caramel syrup, the drops will just disperse into the water. If they drop down to the bottom, you have thick vegan caramel.
For things like this chocolate bark, I want a stiffer, firmer salted caramel. A softer consistency is perfect for drizzling on desserts as a caramel topping or even for vegan caramel apple dip.
There really is no limit to the uses of this easy and yummy vegan coconut caramel sauce.
You can use it in or on top of ice cream, for baking other dessert like cookies and cakes, and even to flavor your coffee or lattes.
Looking for more vegan dessert recipes? Try these:
VIDEO: How to Make Homemade Vegan Caramel Sauce
How to Make Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup coconut/palm sugar see notes
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place palm sugar paste, coconut cream, and salt in a small sauce pan. Heat slowly while stirring to dissolve the coconut sugar.
- Once mixture is boiling, reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will thicken further as it cools.
- To test the consistency, I take the saucepan off the heat, spread a little sauce on a saucer (or similar) and place in the freezer for a few minutes. If the caramel doesn’t thicken (enough), I simmer the sauce for a little longer.
- Stir vanilla extract into finished caramel sauce. Fill into an airtight container.
- The coconut caramel sauce may harden as it cools. To make it pourable or dippable again, warm it a little in a water bath or in the microwave.