This shop has been compensated by #CollectiveBias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone.
Gingerbread Oreo Cookie Balls are the classic OREO ball treat with a delicious seasonal twist just in time for the holidays made with golden Gingerbread Oreos.
Ready or not – the holiday season is right upon us. On Saturday we were already strolling through our famous International Christmas Market here in town. And at night my husband’s work place had their Employee Appreciation Party (a.k.a. Christmas Party).
So although mid-November might seem a little early, we are already in the swing of all things Christmas. To be honest, I don’t even mind. I love Christmas season.
Not so much the consumerism and stress of gift buying, but I love Christmas music, the joyful anticipation and preparation of getting together with family, cuddling up on the couch while watching the snowflakes coming down, warming up in front of fire places and…
…of course Christmas Baking! My earliest Christmas and baking memories are my mom preparing German Lebkuchen which are very similar to gingerbread cookies. It is a very involved recipe that requires the dough to chill over night – preferably outside in the frost. (I am wondering if this recipe comes from times with limited refrigeration options?)
Well, luckily not all gingerbread treats take that much effort. These Gingerbread OREO Cookie Balls don’t even require baking. I changed up the classic recipe and made them with golden Gingerbread OREOS which I found on an action display in the aisles of my local Walmart.
Once I came across the cookies I picked up a few more ingredients to make my holiday flavored treat.
I wanted not just the inside but also the chocolate shell of this treat to taste and look like gingerbread. So I mixed white candy wafers with a few semi-sweet chocolate chips to get the light-brown color. For flavor I added homemade gingerbread spice to the melted chocolate.
Gingerbread spice is a very customizable mix. I looked up a bunch of recipes and came up with my own combination of ground spices that I had at home: 2 T cinnamon, 2 t cloves, 1/2 t ginger, 1/2 t coriander, 1/2 t cardamom, 1/2 t allspice, 1/4 t finely ground black pepper, 1/4 t nutmeg.
To recreate the look of white icing on gingerbread men, I drizzled a little melted white chocolate on the dipped Gingerbread OREO balls and attached gingerbread man candy decorations onto each treat.
I love how creative you can get with OREO Cookie Balls and make fantastic no-bake treats. All the different varieties of OREOS and cream cheese open up a world of flavor combinations. And then there are all the different ways you can decorate them. Check out the #OREOCookieBall Pinterest party taking place on Pinterest on Saturday, December 6 at 12pm ET for more great holiday treat ideas.
And now for the recipe. The OFFICIAL OREO COOKIE BALL RECIPE reads as follows:
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
- 36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
- 4 pkg. (4 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
- Make it!
- MIX cream cheese and cookie crumbs until blended.
- SHAPE into 48 (1-inch) balls. Freeze 10 min. Dip balls in melted chocolate; place in single layer in shallow waxed paper-lined pan.
- CUSTOMIZE it with your own ingredient additions or decorative skills.
- REFRIGERATE 1 hour or until firm.
- Share and enjoy!
For my Gingerbread flavored version I made these adjustments with a few optional ingredients:
- 36 Gingerbread flavored OREO Cookies, finely crushed
- 1 package (8 ounces) brick cream cheese, softened
- 13 ounces white chocolate (wafers)
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (chips)
- 3-4 teaspoons gingerbread spice mix
- 1 teaspoon coconut (or vegetable) oil, if needed
- Wilton Gingerbread Man candy decorations
- Combine crushed OREO cookies with cream cheese. Shape into 48 (1-inch) balls. Freeze for 10 minutes.
- Melt white chocolate (reserve a few white chocolate wafers) and semi-sweet chocolate, add gingerbread spice mix and stir to mix thoroughly. If the spices seem to thicken the chocolate too much, add a little coconut oil to smooth it out again. Dip the chilled balls in melted chocolate; then place onto a piece of waxed paper.
- Melt the reserved white chocolate and drizzle over the balls. Attach Gingerbread Man candy with a dab of melted chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour until firm.
1. If you don’t have the limited edition golden Gingerbread OREOS available, you can use Golden OREOS and add a couple teaspoons of gingerbread spice when combining the cookie crumbs with the cream cheese.
2. Apparently Wilton makes Gingerbread Candy Melts. If you can get your hands on those, you can skip the step of mixing white and semi-sweet chocolate with gingerbread spice.