Spiced Honey Roasted almonds with crunchy coating and gingerbread flavor are a wonderful seasonal holiday treat. They also make great homemade gifts.
Growing up in Germany, Christmas markets were an essential part of our holiday season. For several week(ends) before Christmas, everyone would stroll through the market at least once to scout out (handcrafted) Christmas presents or simply to enjoy the festive atmosphere.
There always was Christmas music - often performed live by local school bands. Steaming mugs of Glühwein and hot chocolate to keep you warm on those cold evenings.
And I will never forget the aroma of roasted almonds that filled the air. Sweet, nutty, crunchy almonds wrapped in cones of red and white checkered paper.
They were irresistible! And usually gone way too fast!
I am not in Germany anymore, but luckily I figured out this recipe that takes roasted almonds from the Christmas market and brings them home. Now I can enjoy them any time of year.
To kick things up a notch, I flavored these honey roasted almonds with gingerbread spices - which means double the Christmas flavor!
Fill the Gingerbread Spiced Roasted Almonds into a mason jar, add a label and ribbon, and you have a beautiful and delicious homemade Christmas gift.
Spiced Honey Roasted Almonds
- 12 ounces raw whole almonds (340 g)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons gingerbread spice mix or substitute cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar or unrefined cane sugar (like demerara or muscovado)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 300°F.
- Spread the raw almonds in a single layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Roast for 5-7 minutes - tossing once in between.
- Combine honey, molasses, and gingerbread spice in a medium bowl. Heat the mixture for a few seconds (in the microwave) to make it really liquid.
- Add the roasted almonds and toss to coat evenly. Spread coated almonds again on the lined baking sheet in a single layer and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Combine sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Let roasted almonds cool for 5 minutes, then toss in sugar + salt mixture.
- Store the cooled almonds in an airtight container.